The archaeological collection has been recently set up inside Palazzo Cento, a noble residence dated 16th century that conserves as well an interesting art gallery, a fine ceramics collection (produced in Pollenza between 1810 and 1905), vintage furniture and a peculiar crucifixes’ collection. The archaeological collection is situated in the first room, located at the first level, but before entering this room, you can find in the entrance corridor a feminine, headless and fragmented statue. The original structure is dated 16th century, but it has been renovated during the 17th and the 18th centuries, which had unavoidably changed its original aspect.
In the museum we can find two mayor evidences nucleus: the first of them has been set up thanks to occasional findings in Montefrancolo, a locality near Pollenza, and all of them refer to a Roman settlement. This origin is supported by three main refers: a marble male torso, maybe representing Apollo, a female statue dressed with a chiton and an animal skin cape, to which has been connected a female head with a hairstyle called “melone” (melon), and finally by a female sandstone head. Some excavations conducted in Montefrancolo, during the 1940’s, are part of the second nucleus. The most important refers in this nucleus are a deer’s horn worked, ceramic mixture fragments, vases and bronze objects and finally, necklace’s elements; those refers evidence a continuous settlement since the Bronze Age until the Iron Age. In the ground floor, there is an exhibition of a recent discovery: mosaic pavements, typical of the Republican Age, from Silla to August, with an emblematic mythological scene, representing a boar-haunting scene, and surely inspired by the 4th or 3rd centuries B.C. models. This mosaic carpet, realized with little colorful marble, terracotta and vitreous paste tiles, presents as well a rhombus motive (opus vermiculatum) as a frame. This last shows different kind of colors, in fact to the traditional ones are added shades of blue and sea green. A part from the archaeological refers, in the museum are conserved as well: furniture from the XVIII century, objects owned by the Cardinal Fernando Cento, Napoleonic documents, folkloric dresses from Marche, weapons’ exposition, local artisan societies standards, paintings come from local ancient churches, and from the town property.